Norcal Nursery, Inc.
Position Title: Distribution Manager
Division: Norcal Nursery, Inc.
Location: Turlock, California
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Supervises: Distribution Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
SUMMARY: The Distribution Manager is the lead distribution and sales support responsible for assuring that all orders are shipped in a timely manner and that product inventory is accurate. The position provides input and oversees plant inventory control for Red Bluff, Turlock, Washington and commercial coolers; communicates on a regular basis with Washington regarding inventory and sales; receives customer orders; responsible for coordinating shipments in a timely manner; coordinates plant sales/inventory with the sales staff; prepares correspondence; and maintains customer contracts and related documents.
In addition, the Distribution Manager is responsible for developing and executing sales support activities including reports and procedures as needed or requested by the Sales Department.
• Manage and monitor all activities of distribution and sales support staff in California.
• Provide oversight to staff who are responsible for nursery plant inventory, product codes, trim shed pack out records, research and resolution of discrepancies, database entries and report preparation.
• Develop and execute procedures for nursery plant sales from sales staff; commit inventory and follow up with written acknowledgement of order; orders entered into the customer database; set up of inventory and field codes; coordinate shipping; obtain freight carrier, pricing and shipping schedule; and prepare all customs and export documents.
• Develop and implement procedures for planning and tracking of plant pack out and product to be shipped for quality assurance purposes; and oversee and/or assist in the organization, schedule and complete all loading instructions for multi-drop trucks.
• Develop procedures for data entry for sales contracts, sales orders, transfers, adjustments, re-packs, etc.
• Oversee invoicing accuracy and monitor and follow through on past due accounts.
• Oversee and/or coordinate with Washington for nursery plant shipments; monitor and input shipments received from Washington; reconcile the inventory to physical on a weekly basis; and research/resolve areas of discrepancies in a timely manner.
• Manage and/or develop the “current availability” reports and keep sales staff updated.
• Coordinate Sales support to sales director and salesmen in all areas including analysis tools to better manage current marketing areas and comparison of past sales, present sales and future sales.
• Create and distribute reports for sales staff. .
• Responsible for coordinating the implementation of Distribution software which includes NorthScope, Microsoft Dynamics GP, and associated inventory software.
• Assist in the proration of orders, if necessary, on oversold varieties.
• Assist in the development of a Web Page interactive web site which may include updating web site information.
• Provide direct supervision over staff to include discretionary authority to determine methods of work; plan, assign and direct the work; and, in coordination with human resources and corporate policy, recommend personnel actions (performance reviews, discipline, discharge, etc.). Emphasis is to be placed on maintaining staffing at the appropriate levels to operate at peak efficiency and in developing continuity in key positions.
• Serves as primary customer service point of contact for nursery sales.
• Provide superior customer service in all aspects of dealing with or providing support to the customer.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Create and maintain procedures manual for current job description.
• Perform related duties as required. *
Supervisory: This position has direct supervisory responsibilities over the Distribution Coordinator I
LIMITS OF AUTHORITY: The limits of authority are as directed by the immediate supervisor, but at a minimum, authority of this position is constrained by the resources provided by the direct supervisor and Corporate Management. Specifically, all contractual/verbal agreements and/or decisions that extend beyond resources provided must be coordinated at a minimum with your immediate supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS: High school graduate or equivalent and a minimum of five (5) years previous experience in shipping and receiving is required. AA degree is desired. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted that provides the skills, knowledge and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
*Related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the Position Description, but are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s classification of work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of warehouse operations as it relates to shipping, receiving and inventory management.
Knowledge of shipping regulations and options in the agricultural industry.
Knowledge of standard accounting practices and procedures.
Strong mathematical skills.
Skill in inventory management, researching and resolving inventory problems.
Good verbal and written communication skills are required to effectively work with Corporate Management, other staff, buyers, and the general public.
Ability to effectively supervise distribution and sales support staff.
Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
Ability to use computer spreadsheets, word processing systems and electronic communications at an advanced level.
Ability to work independently using effective time management and organizational skills.
Ability to adapt to change and growth in overall business operations and concepts.
Ability to exercise good judgment and tact in receiving calls and/or visitors in the main reception area.
Must handle in a constructive manner, the multiple business, organizational, and interpersonal changes
or stresses that may exist in the employee’s work, work processes, dealing with other personnel, and supervision (provided or received). (“Work processes” include, but are not limited to, how work is performed, supervised or distributed; how problems are solved; and how decisions are made.)
Must adapt, with minimal or no advance notice, to changes in how business is conducted and work is accomplished.
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS: Valid California driver’s license.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Travel to Corporate and industry meetings, production and distribution points including Red Bluff, MacDoel. and/or Washington is required. Must be capable of performing data entry for extended periods of time.
Hazards: No known significant hazards.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions of this position, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. However, this should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Employees may perform other duties as assigned. Changes to the position description may be made at the discretion of the employer. This position description does not constitute a contract for employment.
It is the policy of Norcal Nursery, Inc. to not discriminate against any person with regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, or physical or mental disability.