Position Title: Processing Plant Maintenance Mechanic
Division: Sakuma Bros. Processing, Inc.
Reports To: Processing Plant Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY: The Processing Plant Maintenance Mechanic is responsible for performing skilled repair and maintenance on processing plant equipment with priority given to maximizing efficiency during the harvest season.
- Assist in the execution of the preventative maintenance program to maximize operational time for each piece of equipment, including maintenance/service checks. Understand and perform the requirements for daily maintenance checks during the harvest season and follow through with maintenance needs in a timely manner.
- Assist in establishing procedures to effectively and efficiently maintain all equipment at peak efficiency with minimal downtime during production operations. Follow through with the established procedures.
- Develop and maintain the skills to operate all required equipment and machinery and in turn, train others to operate the equipment and machinery in a safe and efficient manner independent of constant supervision.
- Provide input in the development of the annual budgets for the maintenance needs of the processing plant. Maintain an awareness of budget parameters throughout the year to optimize resources.
- Maintain plant order and cleanliness within assigned work area to maximize efficiency of plant operations.
- Develop and maintain effective communications between Corporate Management, other employees, and outside agencies.
- Follow the Processing Plant Safety guidelines at all times.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Perform related duties as required. *
*Related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the Position Description, but are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s classification of work.
Supervisory: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
LIMITS OF AUTHORITY: The limits of authority are as directed by the immediate supervisor, but at a minimum, authority of this position is constrained by the resources provided by the direct supervisor and Corporate Management. Specifically, all contractual/verbal agreements and/or decisions that extend beyond resources provided must be coordinated at a minimum with your immediate supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS: A high school diploma or GED and four (4) years experience in equipment maintenance and repair, preferably in a similar environment. An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the skills, knowledge, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position may be substituted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and experience in equipment operations, equipment maintenance, and equipment refurbishment.
- Skill and experience in troubleshooting and resolving mechanical problems.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are required to work with Corporate Management, outside compliance agencies, vendors, resource agencies, and any other individuals or organizations that affect the operations of the plant.
- Ability to operate various tools and equipment.
- Ability to conduct major repairs on machinery with minimal supervision or training.
- Ability to maintain and follow the inventory management program.
- Ability to work independently using effective time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to make decisions under intense pressure, specifically during periods of peak operations.
- Ability to adapt to change and growth in overall business operations and concepts.
- Must handle in a constructive manner, the multiple business, organizational, and interpersonal changes or stresses that may exist in the employee’s work, work processes, dealing with other personnel, and supervision (provided or received). (“Work processes” include, but are not limited to, how work is performed, supervised or distributed; how problems are solved; and how decisions are made.)
- Must adapt, with minimal or no advance notice, to changes in how business is conducted and work is accomplished.
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS: Valid Washington State driver’s license, CPR and First Aid.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is performed primarily in the processing plant. Physical requirements include working long hours (seasonally); lifting, pushing, and pulling heavy equipment and machinery; use of heavy tools; and driving forklifts.
Hazards: Potential hazards exist when working around high voltages, moving mechanical parts/equipment, high noise levels, chemicals, and various processing plant equipment and machinery.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions of this position, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. However, this should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Employees may perform other duties as assigned. Changes to the position description may be made at the discretion of the employer. This position description does not constitute a contract for employment.
It is the policy of Sakuma Bros. Processing, Inc. to not discriminate against any person with regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, or physical or mental disability.